Driving directions from I-65 to Destin, Sandestin, Hwy 30-A or Fort Walton Beach
Following are some directions we use when we drive to the beach.
I-65 to the beach
3) Go 3 miles and turn right on 31 South (to 55)
4) Go through McKenzie, AL (7.3 miles), road turns into 55 South
5) Go 18 miles to dead end and turn left to Andalusia, AL
6) Go 3.8 miles to dead end (at Covington County Mall) and turn right on 55 South, turns into 29 South
7) Go 12 miles on 29 South
Turn left onto Highway 137 (Hwy 137 bears to the left instead of being a sharp left turn. Also, this is not a 4-way intersection and is easy to miss!)
9) Stay on 137 for 14 miles and it will change into SR 189 at the FL state line
10) SR 189 dead ends into US 90 — turn left on US 90
11) You will cross a bridge and turn at the first light (less than 4 miles) – Antioch Rd. (used to be called PJ Adams Rd. – there is a new Tom Thumb on the corner)
Great places to stop along the way:
Peach Park in Clanton, Alabama, exit 205 from I-65. We always stop here for some famous Chilton County peaches and other fresh produce. Peach Park also serves delicious home-made ice cream and excellent BBQ. If you enjoy fried food, try the chicken fingers, peach pies and onion rings.
There are some other fantastic road-side tomato stands along the way. My favorite is Wingard Produce, open seasonally. After you turn right on 31 South (toward 55), look on the left after the road turns into a four-lane. It’s in an old barn-style building next to Country Café, at the top of a hill.
2) Go right on SR 85 approx 20 miles and turn left on PJ Adams (Tom Thumb at intersection on left)
3) Turn left on US 90 at the light
4) Go over bridge and turn right at SR 4 which turns into SR 189 and then into 137 once in AL (total about 28 miles)
5) Turn right on 29 North (12 miles) and turns into 55 North
6) Turn left on 55 North (at the Covington County Mall)
7) Follow signs to I-65 North and then back to Montgomery, and on to Birmingham, Huntsville, etc…